Differences between HTTP and HTTPS
Hypertext Transfer Protocol (HTTP) is a protocol used when your web browser (client), requests information from a server.
- URL begins with “http://”
- uses port 80 for communication
- it is unsecured
- no encryption is in place
- no certificates are required.
Hypertext Transfer Protocol Secure (HTTPS) is combination of Hypertext Transfer Protocol (HTTPS) and Secure Sockets Layer (SSL) and Transport Layer Security (TLS) protocols.
- URL begins with “https://”
- uses port 443 for communication
- is a more secure way to sending data from a client to a server and way back
- communication is encrypted
- encryption SSL certificates are required